The term nutraceutical is used to describe any product derived from food sources that provide extra health benefits. This term combines the two words “nutrient”, which is a nourishing food component, and “pharmaceutical”, which is a medical drug. In this post from Eggnovo, nutraceutical ingredients supplier based on eggshell for the food/feed, cosmetic, nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industry, we tell you everything you need to know about what nutraceuticals are and what types of nutraceuticals are currently available. Discover more about it!
Definition of nutraceuticals
Nutraceutical products can be considered non-specific biological therapies used to promote general well-being. The name of nutraceutical was coined in 1989 by Stephen DeFelice, founder and chairman of the Foundation for Innovation in Medicine, which is an American organization located in Cranford (New Jersey).
The philosophy behind natural nutraceuticals is to focus on prevention, according to the saying by a Greek physician Hippocrates (known as the father of medicine) who said “let food be your medicine”. Their role in human nutrition is one of the most important areas of investigation.
When we talk about nutraceuticals we are talking about a very broad category of products that must meet the following criteria:
- Be products of natural origin, isolated and purified non-denaturing methods to preserve their original properties without making some kind of chemical manipulation.
- They must have beneficial health effects: improvement of one or more physiological functions, preventive and/or curative action, and improvement of the quality of life, and provide temporary stability.
- They must pass a stability and toxicology analysis and chemical analysis.
- Reproducible studies of their bioactive properties must be carried out.
Types of nutraceuticals
The definition of nutraceuticals and their related products generally depends on the source. These products can be classified on the basis of their natural sources, pharmacological conditions, as well as chemical constitution of the products. Most often, natural nutraceuticals are grouped into four categories that include dietary supplements, functional food, medicinal food, and pharmaceuticals.
Therefore, nutraceuticals may be used to improve health, prevent chronic diseases, postpone the aging process, or just support the functions and integrity of the body.
A nutraceutical represents a product that contains nutrients derived from food products and is often concentrated in liquid, capsule, powder, or pill form. Although nutraceuticals are regulated by law as foods, their regulation differs from that which is involved in drugs and other food products.
At Eggnovo we develop functional branded ingredients based on eggshell for the food/feed, cosmetic, nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industry. As we have already mentioned, nutraceutical products are being extensively used for the treatment of diverse disorders.
Let’s see how our ingredients can improve the health condition in different areas:
- Ovomet. Eggshell membrane, a natural source of glycosaminoglycans such as chondroitin sulfate and hyaluronic acid, among other biomolecules, has led to the consideration of this product as a potential treatment for joint disorders:
- Helps to reduce joint pain in knee osteoarthritis as early as 5 days.
- Starts to help reduce osteoarthritic joint pain as early as 5 days.
- Starts to help reduce joint pain due to osteoarthritis as early as 5 days.
- Ovoderm. Human skin physiology changes during the course of life involving age-related changes in skin appearance. It has been suggested that eggshell membrane, a natural ingredient containing collagen, hyaluronic acid, elastine, among others biomolecules, can be used for improving skin. Ovoderm is a prodigy of nature, and an incredibly powerful science-backed ingredient.
Eggshell membrane, which is found in the inner area of the egg attached to the shell, has shown considerably positive results. It is an ingredient rich in collagen, elastin, hyaluronic acid, chondroitin sulphate and other key biomolecules.
You can now access all our ingredients and download the most relevant information about each of them.